Sunday, June 5, 2011

What the heck am I doing?

Growing up, my mom did all the cooking for our family... I grew up on Northeast Ohio in a small, steel town.  My dad worked on the railroad and my mom was a "stay at home" mom, as were most moms in the late 60's and into the 70's.  Our daily routine included a family dinner at 5:00 p.m. every evening, which my mom prepared from scratch.  The only time I remember eating fast food was occasionally on the nights that my dad was bowling when we went to Arby's and on Fridays during Lent, when we got takeout from Arthur Treacher's.  Holidays and special occasions would join us with our extended family where we would act out one of those picturesque tables scenes with spirited conversations ranging from sports (we are all big Pittsburgh Steeler fans!) to politics to religion, and, kids running around, crying and being told to "sit still"...and then there was the food!  Turkey and ham for Thanksgiving, lamb and ham for Christmas, pork spareribs on New Year's Eve and a pork roast for New Year's Day, lamb and ham for Easter, hamburgers on the 4th of July... then the cycle starts over.... My mom was always the one to volunteer to make spaghetti and meatballs for 50 people, stuffed cabbage for 100 people... weddings, graduations, funerals... (Hey, it's a small town!)  So food has been a big part of my life! 

Cooking actually seems to come naturally to me. I love to read a good cookbook, but rarely follow a recipe as written!  I love a good cooking challenge and I found that in the Big Green Egg (BGE)... hence the name of my blog!  I will share both my experience in using my BGE, adapt my "recipes" for non grill/smoker use and talk about my food experiments beyond the BGE - next on tap is homemade Greek Yogurt!

Thank you for reading and I look forward to sharing with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment